PVCC History
Framed by the Cleveland National Forest, Pauma  Valley Country Club rests in a valley of the San Luis Rey River that is rich in history and today retains the best of Old California.   The first residents along the river were small tribes of Indians, and one tribe, the Paumas, took their name from an Indian word which means” spring water.”  For thousands of years the tribe enjoyed Nature’s bounty, with the river and  valley  providing all that they needed.

As new settlers arrived in the early-to-mid -1900’s, they transformed the valley into the rich agricultural area that it is today.  Over time,  some of those early ranches became the special parcel of land that would be used to create the Pauma Valley  Country Club.  These early residents and visitors ranged from citrus farmers and cattle barons to Hollywood celebrities, including John Wayne.  For many decades the John Wayne Ranch House stood next to what it is now, the 14th tee.  Pauma Valley’s potential as the site for a superb golfing facility and residential community was first realized in the early 1950’s.

In 1957, a corporation was formed, and over the next two years the group purchased thousands of acres in the valley.  Robert Trent Jones was brought in as a designer of the proposed 18-hole championship golf course.  The John Wayne Ranch House served as the Club’s temporary Clubhouse.  The  golf course was opened for play on November 1, 1960 and within a few years special televised golf matches were held at the course, featuring such well-known golfers as Arnold Palmer and Gary Player.

In July, 1966, The Pauma Valley Country Club corporation was formed and private memberships were offered.  By 1967, the membership was growing, the first subdivision was finished, and construction began on private homes adjacent to the golf course.

The Pauma Valley Country Club continues to operate as a private golf and country club, one of America’s most exclusive hideaways that is dedicated to preserving the charm of Old California and the great game of  golf.

Pauma Valley Country Club fits comfortably into the surrounding community and is known as a good and supportive neighbor.  Our members support the local elementary school through the Pauma Schools Foundation.  The Club and the residential area around it are protected by manned gates and patrol services provided by Pauma Valley Community Services District.  Water, an increasing scarce resource in Southern California, is supplied by the local water company which owns superior water rights and 14 wells with complete delivery infrastructure.

 


John Wayne’s Ranch House was 
the original Clubhouse